Maxillofacial surgery is a dental speciality that performs surgical procedures on the bone areas of the forehead, face, cheekbones, jaws and the soft tissues in these areas. There are many areas of Maxillofacial Surgery Effingham IL. Understanding these specialities can allow patients to make informed decisions on whether or not they will need to seek a maxillofacial surgeon for their needs.
1. These surgeons perform surgery to place prosthetic facial features such as ears, noses and eyes. This type of surgery works on the bony and soft tissue areas to offer support for these prosthetics so a patient’s facial features can be restored.
2. Maxillofacial surgeons also perform surgery to remove any tumors in the oral cavity and in the face. Bony tumors and soft tissues tumors are removed through these surgeons.
3. The surgeons also remove teeth, contour bone tissue and uncover teeth.
4. Orthognathic surgery is performed through a maxillofacial surgeon to reposition the jaws for an improved bite and appearance. This surgery can also be used to reposition the cheeks, nose and orbital cavities. The vast majority of these surgeries involving the jaw are done with orthodontic intervention first.
5. These surgeons also perform reconstructive facial surgery which may be needed for birth defects, damage caused by accidents and damage caused by cancer. Some of these surgeons also perform these surgeries as a part of cosmetic surgery.
6. A surgeon in this field will also perform surgical procedures to correct TMJD (temporomandibular jaw disorder). This surgery corrects the performance of the jaw joint to stop any pain and improve the way a person can open their jaw. Visit Site for more details.
Be the first to like.